Wednesday 7 March 2012

Stockist Spotlight - Your Organ Grinder

Who are you?  Simmone Spring, the creator of Your Organ Grinder

What do you make?  Anatomical, Biological and Medical Art and Accessories, made from Wool Felt and Fleece, sewn and needlefelted.

When did you get started?  I started making my "specimens" about 4-5 years ago (2007), but have always been a "maker" and before Your Organ Grinder I was only doing my other label The Little Orchard (cute and quirky felt and fabric goodies).

Why do you make your 'thing'?  I ask myself this a lot, and cannot say for sure why I am interested in Body parts and medical oddities.  I have always liked things that are "interesting" and "detailed."  I used to collect bugs as a kid, had a microscope and wanted a telescope, and have wanted to be a taxidermist since I was about 12.  I also really love the learning that goes along with making Body parts.

Where to next for you? (what direction do you see your work heading in?)  After finding some very awesome anatomy books and making more and more specific and odd things for people I really want to continue in making more medical anomalies, as well as studies of how parts intereact and work, such as the links between the liver,pancreas and spleen.  I also want to do more bones that really look like bones and joints. I also want to do more and more large pieces.  I've made a life sized Spine and a Anatomical Woman (5ft tall), and really want to keep working on large displays.  I also want to make Zombie Marionettes!  
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Social Sharing