Tuesday 20 September 2011

Stockist Spotlight - Alternative Thoughts

Today in our Stockist Spotlight we're featuring Michelle Guest, who is both a stockist of some wonderful woven pieces and an artist featured in our current Art Exhibition 'In The Beginning' - A group show featuring the works of 5 talented Victorian artists.
 Who are you?  I see myself as a Textile craft/artist – Maker using yarn

What do you make? I make all manner of things – scarves, wraps, throws, experimental works of all sizes. I work from yarns of all sorts – wool – bark – fishing line – tencel.

When did you get started?  Honestly as a kid with hay ban for skipping ropes to halters. Then later knitting, and onto weaving and more experimenting.

Why do you make your 'thing'? The need to make is a two fold part for me, It helps my physio (previous injury) and I just like being able to make as it feeds my being. I also like to watch someone patting a weaving or textile pieces that I have made, as they head off, is very pleasing to know they really enjoy a hand crafted work.

Where to next for you? (what direction do you see your work heading in?) I would like to blend textiles and other materials eg: wood, stone, metal, etc and keep enjoying what I make which I hope others will also.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Social Sharing