Monday 25 March 2013

Stockist Spotlight - Clay & Clasp

Who are you?

My name is Lucy, I am from the UK originally but now live in Perth with my husband Jake, dog Archie and cat George!  

What do you make?

I make jewellery and homewares from clay!  


When did you get started?

I started in September 2012 as I was feeling a little frustrated in that my job was not creative enough. So I started making jewellery to keep my design brain ticking, and do something really visual at the same time. 

I am a Heritage Architect by trade so come from a design background. I’ve been using clay since I was a child and I never gave it up. Even whilst studying I was always trying to sneak something made out of clay into my architectural models!

Why do you make your 'thing'? 

I have an obsession with tea and cake and have always been a really keen baker.  I tasted my first macaron at Laduree in London (not Paris unfortunately) and think I probably became obsessed with the look of them rather than the taste. I spent hours slaving in the kitchen trying to perfect the art of making them look perfect! Several thousand hours later (er, and several thousand kilos heavier), I still can’t get it right every time so it got me thinking if I’m doing this for looks over taste, maybe I should make some in clay!

I am also a big animal lover and hence many of my pieces feature birds, bunnies, owls and foxes!
Most other things I make stem from a piece I've wanted to make for myself, usually to go with a certain outfit or for a specific occasion.  

Where to next for you? (what direction do you see your work heading in?)

I would like to develop my custom pieces so that I can make pieces for families or individuals that are truly unique to them.  I am forever thinking up new designs, inspired by something I've seen (or eaten) and so who knows what I'll make next!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Social Sharing