Wednesday 22 May 2013

VPHG Artist Spotlight: - Isabelle Kawai Vincent



If I hadn't put myself on an art purchasing ban for the next two months, the piece below by Isabelle Kawaii Vincent would be coming home with me at the end of the Anatomy exhibition, so I think it's fair to say that I'm a bit of a fan... It's my pleasure to be sharing a little of Isabelle's story with you today as part of our Artist Spotlight series.

What inspires you?
I’m a people person so most of my artwork is about the human emotions and how these emotions are expressed through body language, especially the hands. I had observed a person talking to a his mother and her facial expression and posture portrayed a relaxed and confident presence, but I noticed that she was grasping both her hands so tightly that the whites of her knuckle were showing. The person had thought that his mother was doing well, however, the mother’s tense hands was revealing that she was hiding her anxiety. Therefore the hands are the tip of the iceberg for the true human emotions.

What are the main medium(s) you work in?

Printmaking, especially linocuts, painting and drawing. I’m recently developing my photographic skills.

How do you describe your work?
Emotive themes using both western and eastern artistic techniques and styles. There is contrast in understated or blurred pictorial areas to emphasis the detailed focal points.

Tell us about the specific pieces you're exhibiting at VPHG...

I’m using traditional Sumi painting techniques, Eastern minimal composition and sense of pictorial space combined with Western style of tone, detail and form, with Fauvism application of colours. The figure is understated to contrast with the detailed hands, as it is the hands which create emotions and moods; the tip of the ice berg.

What are you working on currently?

I have recently relocated to Echuca and have developed a fascination with the Murray River. I am contently drawn to the watery life form and realise that other people are as well. So I am exploring the Murray River and how people interacts and relates to it. I currently using photography as both a final piece of artwork and references for linocuts, painting and drawings.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Social Sharing